.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cry Me A Riverbend II

Saturday, February 19, 2005

The Iraqi Shi'a Don't Rise To The Terrorist's Bait



I'm not supposed to posting, but I just wanted to mention how impressed I am with the Shi'a clerical leadership.

The terrorists (as was their stated goal a year ago) have been trying to instigate a civil war between the Shi'a and Sunni Arabs and the Kurds and Sunni Arabs. But the Shi'a aren't going for it.

Whatever Riverbend says about the Shi'a clerics, they have shown themselves to be quite enlightened so far in the necessities of democracy and the disastrous results of retribution. Compare them to the most vocal Sunni clerics calling for the murder of the "occupying infidels" and "apostates" and to the clerics permitting mosques to be used as weapons depots and it is easy to see who are the real wolves in shepherds' clothing.

Personally, I would be quite satisfied to see a goodly number of certain Sunni clerics taken out in the streets and kicked senseless (and my church congregation has never been attacked by a murder-suicide bomber). But the Shi'a as a whole have show themselves wiser than my inclinations.

I can't find the post but I read an Iraqi blog a month or so ago in which al-Sistani was reported saying "I don't care if they blow-up the whole town, don't strike back." Honestly, I don't fully trust Sistani. However, if I'm ever in a situation where every action seems bad and any wrong move to the left or right will destroy me, I want someone to advise me who has the steady nerves and cool pragmatic mind behind a command like that one.

10 Comments:

  • Bruno,

    Typical of your scattered memory, I said that in the comments section of "Calling It Like It Is" and your memory of it is as distorted as everything else in your world-view. What I said was this:
    "If I lived under a regime like Saddam's, I would not care if Saddam Hussein himself rolled tanks down my street if he deposed my leaders, permitted free speech and free association for the first time 50 years and - within 22 months - facilitated the first elections in 50 years to establish a electorally responsible goverment. And if he did, and I saw some red-blooded American about to take a pot-shot at one of my liberators, I'd blow his worthless head off."

    Bruno, for anyone's sense of nationalism to lead him to a different conclusion, he would have to be a virtual cartoon of a jingoist.

    By Blogger CMAR II, at 6:07 AM  

  • oh. one other thing, Bruno:

    Those Sunni clerics harboring terrorists like the ones that blew up that Shi'a mosque and who permit mosques to be used as weapons depots? The should get what they give.

    By Blogger CMAR II, at 6:09 AM  

  • We are the Blorg. Resistance to the Truth is Futile.

    By Blogger kender, at 2:50 PM  

  • CMAR, you know that Riverbend is just a young woman, eh? At her age, she's hardly a hardened partisan -- and yet, you seem shit fucking terrified of her.

    Explain?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:16 PM  

  • What gives you the idea that anyone, much less CMAR, is scared of RB?

    I daresay that if RB ever came to the states she would quickly change her mind about the "evil USA"...that or join the democrats.

    By Blogger kender, at 7:44 PM  

  • Better a stick in the ass than a knife through the neck!!!!

    By Blogger kender, at 10:45 AM  

  • Can you plz check your mail ...when will you come online ?

    come oline plz

    By Blogger Medya, at 4:48 PM  

  • ALJAZEERA ARTICLE FEATURING RIVERBEND:

    Iraqi blogger on martial law

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:17 PM  

  • "Personally, I would be quite satisfied to see a goodly number of certain Sunni clerics taken out in the streets and kicked senseless ..."

    So, in other words, you're really no better than the terrorists and thugs -- but perhaps like them, you believe you're on the side of right and that violence is a solution.

    You're pathetic.

    ..c..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:03 PM  

  • anonymous, anonymous, anonymous,

    Do you really lack the logical ability to determine a simple parallel comparison?

    I didn't say I would *advocate* kicking senseless Sunni Imams who call for their followers to murder Coalition soldiers and their own countrymen, or who use their mosques as weapons depots and terrorist bases. Just the opposite. I said I would *like* to, but I consider Sistani's approach superior.

    I didn't even say I *wanted* to kill or blow up those particular Imams of the Church of Satan. That alone makes me superior to the terrorists.

    Your inability to grasp that fact explains how you assembled your likely haphazard opinions about the Iraq Liberation.

    By Blogger CMAR II, at 8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home